October 4, 2015
Ok, week 2 in Grimrail Depot went much better. We learned a few more things and are in very good position for next week.
Things to take away:
- The trash is still coming off pretty easy. The buggy mob that drops agro is still annoying but nothing else seems to be troublesome. If anything, there are several places that we could probably be a little more aggressive with trash pulls.
- We do still need to clean up the boss fights, but we’re doing much better this time around.
- Boss 1: We did a much better job of avoiding the avoidable damage, and the boss death synching was beautiful.
- Boss 2: We still need to clean things up a bit, but we all did better this week as a whole than any of our pulls last week. I think our quirky 2-tank strategy and having me pick up grenades made a big difference.
- Boss 3: Still not giving us trouble.
- AoE stealth at the beginning was a good tweak, we’ll keep that in place. Don’t forget that Cloak leaves your potions CD intact so don’t forget to use them on the first boss.
- Having everyone eat while I drink was a good tweak, I think it saved us a few seconds. Just count on having to eat to full health after every boss or any touch-and-go trash pull.
- We spent about an hour and a half on CM last week and did not finish. This week we spent about 2 hours and finished twice.
- We got our first bronze completion, only 5:45 away from silver time.
- We cut our time almost in half, from ~59 minutes to ~31 minutes between our first and second completions. That’s a big improvement.
Overall, we’re very close, we just need to tweak things here and there and tighten things up a little bit. This really doesn’t look be to another Shadowmoon Burial Grounds. We’ve turned the corner, we just need to fine-tune it and we’re all set. Good work, everyone, I’m sure we’ll get it next week.
September 29, 2015
Ok, week 1 in Grimrail could have gone better, but it wasn’t a total loss. We learned a bit, and we’re not in a terrible place, overall.
Things to take away:
- The trash is being far less troublesome than I expected. The only real trouble is the buggy mob that drops agro.
- We need to clean up the boss fights.
- Boss 1: A lot of avoidable damage is still going out and we need to close the gap between the boss deaths. Healing 20+ seconds of enrage is asking a lot of me.
- Boss 2: We need to handle adds better and make better use of the items they drop. Those two are related. The more efficiently we use the items, the quicker they die.
- Overall, this looks like it might give us less trouble than Shadowmoon Burial Grounds did. There are fewer and simpler mechanics, we just need to perfect them and we should be golden.
I’ve made a few decisions moving forward. We won’t be doing mythic modes, anymore, they just aren’t helpful enough. We still have to do an “ignore the timer” challenge mode run and that run always teaches us more. If anything, I think the Mythic run may be giving us an unrealistic view of how cleanly we need to do the mechanics because not being scaled down allows us to get away with a lot more mistakes.
Also, we’re going to switch to skipping the trash at the beginning instead of in the train. Shifting the invis run forward seemed to work out better last time in that it gives us extra time and extra tries on the boss(es) we’re having the most trouble with. The other advantage to skipping the beginning is that we can make use of Tall’s AoE stealth and not affect our potion CDs.
Finally, we’ll still be pulling one trash pack back, but we won’t be moving the double-gunner pack anymore. Moving the first pack of car 2 seemed to work out, but the double gunner pack didn’t.
September 20, 2015
For anyone like me who loves TidyPlates and can’t live without it, there is an unofficial patch that makes it 6.2.2 compatible available at http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info23673-TidyPlates6.16.1WoD6.2.2fix.html.
September 20, 2015
With Shadowmoon Burial Grounds week… 6? 7? … I don’t know, I’ve lost track. (Ok, I looked it up. 6 weeks, but we didn’t have a chance to run on 2 of those, so I guess that works out to week 4.) Anyway, with this week in the history books, we finally managed to sneak away with a win… and it was EPIC!
On the final pull of the night, we finally managed to just bring everything together. It was beautiful. Everyone was so happy and excited (and relieved) when Ner’Zhul finally bit the dust and we got our achievements.
Positives to take away from this week:
- We never have to go back there again. ‘Nuff said.
Okay, seriously, though, great work, everyone.
Up next week is Grimrail Depot. Please be sure to watch the video. We’ll be running it on Mythic to get on the same page. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_AU8_J5eo
September 7, 2015
Woot! After struggling for a few days trying to get the Feat of Strength “You’re Really Doing it Wrong” for completing a gold mode of the proving grounds in a spec not suited for it, I finally managed to pull it off, completing the DPS gold on my protection warrior tank.
August 23, 2015
So I decided to blow off a little steam in the Proving Grounds, and I made some very nice progress.
Holy Paladin, Holy Priest, and Combat Rogue are now completed through Gold.
That makes 10/11 classes and 20/35 specs complete.
On the to-do list: level an agility druid, finish off leveling a monk.
August 23, 2015
Don’t ask. Just don’t ask.
Positives to take away / Things to keep in mind next week:
- Although we did have quite a few mistakes, the vast majority of our problem was the worst sort of RNG imaginable. You name it, it screwed us. Sacrifices will be made to appease the RNG gods to prevent a repeat occurrence.
- For some reason, my healing jewelry didn’t get equipped when I loaded my healing set, which could well explain my mana issues on Bonemaw. I have (hopefully) corrected the problem.
- We weren’t at our best, so we can pretend this week didn’t happen. Next week we start fresh. We should hopefully all be healthier and better rested then.
- We owned the crap out of that last run-back through the empty hallway, thanks to my timely use of Heroism.
- I made a macro to protect Heroism, so I won’t accidentally activate it in an empty hallway again.
- We’re owning the first half of the instance. Our times for the section before Bonemaw were equal to or near our best.
- Melee is doing awesome with positioning to avoid cleaves.
- Overall, we did a much better job about not activating runes/tombs.
- We’ve found a winner for the best place to use Army. That pull went from being deadly to a cakewalk.
- The tweak where we CC the 2nd Monstrous Spider seemed to work out well.
- We just need to tighten up the last little bit and we’re golden. After Bonemaw, there is just the invis run, one trash pull, and Ner’Zhul. With the times we’ve been getting in the front, we can clear Silver easy if we run it as well as we did on our very first attempt in week 1.
- What had been becoming a tense situation ended up with laughter, joking and friendship. “We are the champions,” indeed. ;)